Fighting for his Life after Electrocution
Published on September 19th, 2016
John Harrison Doucet, a 20-year-old Gulfport (MS) resident, is fighting for his life after being electrocuted at the Gulfport Yacht Club in Gulfport, MS.
A lifelong sailor and competitor in the Gulf Yachting Association and member of Gulfport Yacht Club, Doucet was electrocuted Sunday, September 18th while trailering a J/22 at the Gulfport Yacht Club after sailing with his family.
News reports claim the mast’s backstay came in contact with an electrical transmission line after the trailer was released from the hitch. Douchet had his hand on the trailer hitch at the time, suffering third- and fourth-degree burns over 75 percent of his body.
Doucet was airlifted to Jackson, MS that night where he underwent surgery which removed both his legs. The full extent of his injuries is still being determined. He will be transferred to a hospital in Georgia as soon as possible to receive the best burn care available.
A GoFundMe campaign has been launched to offset the unforeseen medical, travel and housing expenses. To help… click here.