Melges leads Melges 14 Midwinters
Published on March 2nd, 2018
Sarasota, FL. (March 2, 2018) – Light to comfortably hiking conditions welcomed 23 competitors on the opening day of the Melges 14 Midwinters. A pattern was established early with a slightly pin-favored starting line, a left hand favored race course, and dominating performances by Harry Melges IV and Daniel Thielman.
Melges took wins in race one, three and four with his only blemish coming in race two when he was outdueled by Chattanooga’s Adam Ankers. Ankers took to an early lead and fended off a late-charging Melges and Todd Wilson from Lake Lanier Sailing Club. Thielman, sailing out of the Corinthian Yacht Club, pressed for the lead all day and ended with three second place finishes and a fifth.
The fight is just behind the leaders as only ten points separate third place James Gillian and eighth Place Josh Launders.
Tomorrow looks to bring near-perfect conditions with temperatures in the 80s and a breeze around 10 knots. Racing continues through March 4.
Day One Results (Top 10 of 23; 4 races)
1. USA 4, Harry Melges IV, Buddy Melges Sailing Center, 1-2-1-1- ; 5
2. 546, Daniel Thielman, Corinthian Yacht Club, 2-5-2-2- ; 11
3. 527, James Gillian, N/A, 10-4-3-3- ; 20T
4. 609, Todd Wilson, LLSC, 5-3-4-8- ; 20T
5. 520, Adam Ankers, Privateer Yacht Club, 7-1-8-5- ; 21
6. USA-643, Lars Osell, Sarasota youth sailing/Ephraim Yacht club, 3-8-5-7- ; 23
7. 608, Dan McGraw, Lake Lanier Sailing Club, 4-10-7-6- ; 27
8. 524, Joshua Landers, Privateer Yacht Club, 6-9-6-9- ; 30
9. 547, Auric Horneman, Berkeley Yacht Club, 11-6-11-4- ; 32
10. 567, KC Shannon, Lake Lanier Sailing Club, 8-13-10-14- ; 45
Source: Melges Performance Sailboats