Tight Racing at Lightning Midwinters
Published on March 28th, 2018
Miami, FL (March 28, 2018) – The 2018 Lightning Midwinter Championship opened with classic Biscayne Bay sailing, featuring 16-20 knots of breeze, chop, and three spectacular races. David Starck, sailing with his brother Tom and Jenna Probst won races 2 and 3 to take the series lead. This team is not, by any means, pulling away, as the top 6 teams are all sitting within 4 points of the lead.
In race one, Jody Starck started mid-line, punched out off the line, and claimed a lead at the first mark which she would not relinquish. Starck was joined by Jared Drake and Max Balanevsky, who together, used their height to lever the boat and find top rate upwind speed.
The second race was much like the first, as David Starck and team started just up from the pin and went fast to the left side, eventually crossing the fleet and leading into mark 1. This team would not look back for the rest of the race and took a commanding victory.
Race three was nearly the exact same story, with Dave Starck and team extending off the start, claiming an early lead, and not letting anyone past.
After the first day, Jody Starck sits in second place with 11 points, and Tito Gonzalez lead a group of three teams with 12 points, including Javier Conte and Ched Proctor.
Teams are expecting 14-16 knots of breeze to allow for three races tomorrow, with the final day of racing scheduled for Friday.
Standings (Top 5 of 29; 3 races)
1. David Starck / Tom Starck / Jenna Probst, USA – 8 -1 -1: 10
2. Jody Starck / Jared Drake / Max Balanevsky, USA – 1 -6 -4: 11
3. Tito Gonzalez / Trini Gonzalez / Alberto Gonzalez Jr, CHI – 2 -3 -7; 12
4. Javier Conte / Julio Alsogaray / Paula Salerno, ARG – 4 -2 -6; 12
5. Ched Proctor / Jeff Eiber / Carol Cronin, USA – 5 -5 -2; 12
2018 Lightning Southern Circuit
• March 24-26 – Winter Championship – St Petersburg, FL
• March 28-30 – Midwinter Regatta – Miami, FL
Source: Doug Wake