Patience tested at Melges 24 Worlds
Published on June 6th, 2018
Victoria, BC (June 6, 2018) – The second day of the 2018 Melges 24 World Championship tested the patience of the forty-one crews from five countries as light winds continued to plague the event.
The morning started with AP flag hoisted with a pennant of two hours postponement. After 11 am the breeze was filling in a bit and the fleet was off to the race course in Victoria Waterfront. After few attempts to start racing, all abandoned because of the massive wind shifts, the only Italian entry Altea ITA722 by Andrea Racchelli, runner-up of the 2017 Melges 24 Worlds, managed to take the lead in the one and only race completed.
“We’re satisfied with the result of today, even if the conditions here in Victoria are very challenging and difficult to predict,” said Andrea Racchelli, owner and helmsman of Altea. “Today the breeze was extremely light, sometimes shifty, and the current is a challenge that must be kept under control at all times.”
With the scores of 2 and 3 after the first two days of racing, the American entry Full Throttle by Brian Porter gains the leadership of the provisional ranking, with just one point margin over Italian Altea. WTF USA829 by Alan Field, winner of the yesterday’s race #1, follows in third, having closed today’s regatta in sixth position.
Good Enough USA806 by Matt MacGregor leads the Corinthian division (4th result in overall today), followed by Brad Marchant’s ADHD CAN184 (7 pts today) and Robert Britten’s Full Circle CAN415 (10 pts today).
Racing is scheduled for June 5 to 9.
Top five after Day Two (Overall)
1. Full Throttle USA 849, Brian Porter, RJ Porter, Matt Woodworth, Andy Burdick, Lake Geneva Yacht Club, – 2 – 3 ; 5 pts
2. Altea ITA 722, Andrea Racchelli, Filippo Togni, Gaudenzio Bomni, Matteo Ranian, Michele Gregoratto, Altea, – 5 – 1 ; 6 pts
3. WTF USA 829, Alan Field, Erik Shampain, Willem Van Waay, Steve Hunt, Lucas Calabrese, California Yacht Club, – 1 – 6 ; 7 pts
4. Monsoon USA 851, Bruce Ayres, Chelsea Simms, George Peet, Jeff Reynolds, Mike Buckley, NHYC, – 3 – 5 ; 8 pts
5. Good Enough USA 806 (C), Matt MacGregor, Daryl Fitch, Genevieve Livingston, Kati Belden, Keith Hammer, PMYC, – 8 – 4 ; 12 pts
Top five after Day Two (Corinthian)
1. Good Enough USA 806, Matt MacGregor, Daryl Fitch, Genevieve Livingston, Kati Belden, Keith Hammer, PMYC, – 8 – 4 ; 12 pts
2. ADHD CAN 184, Brad Marchant, Adam Thomson, Alex Smyth, Ben Mumford, WVYC, – 7 – 7 ; 14 pts
3. Full Circle CAN 415, Robert Britten, Graham Harney, Jose Grandizo , Liam Welgan-Gunn, Reid Cannon, Royal Victoria Yacht Club, – 11 – 10 ; 21 pts
4. Hey Mum, Follow this Boat CAN 591, Mike Bond, Gord Shannon, Mike Bassett, Sophie Stukas, Rvyc, – 10 – 14 ; 24 pts
5. Goes to Eleven CAN 11, Duncan Stamper, Chris Vassallo, Keith Provan, Mark Malleson, Steve Isbister, Royal Victoria Yacht Club, – 18 – 15 ; 33 pts
Source: M24 Class