Selection System for 2019 US Youth Worlds Team
Published on August 17th, 2018
Bristol, RI (August 17, 2018) – Following the success of the US Team at the 2018 Youth World Sailing Championships, US Sailing has released details of the US athlete selection system for the 2019 Youth Sailing World Championships to be held July 13-19 in Gdynia, Poland.
• 2019 Youth World Championships Venue: Gdynia, Poland | July 13-19, 2019
• Age Eligibility: All prospective athletes shall be under the age of 19 years on December 31, 2019 (born after December 31, 2000).
• Equipment: The USA qualification events to the Youth Worlds will be conducted with the equipment (sailboat classes) listed below.
Boys’ One Person Dinghy – Laser Radial
Girls’ One Person Dinghy – Laser Radial
Boys’ Two Person Dinghy – International 420
Girls’ Two Person Dinghy – International 420
Boys’ Windsurfer – RS:X with 8.5m2 sail & 60cm fin
Girls’ Windsurfer – RS:X with 8.5m2 sail & 60cm fin
Boys’ Skiff – 29er
Girls’ Skiff – 29er
Mixed Multihull – Nacra 15
Note: This list of equipment is subject to change by World Sailing.
USA Qualification to the Youth Worlds:
US Sailing’s Olympic Sailing Committee (OSC) will select one eligible prospective athlete in each of the singlehanded classes and one team of two eligible prospective athletes for each of the doublehanded classes to represent their country at the 2019 Youth Sailing World Championships.
Laser Radial, International 420, 29er, and Nacra 15:
Qualification will be based on a two‐event qualification system as outlined below:
• Laser Radial: Radial Midwinters East | February 21-24, 2019 | Clearwater, Fla.
• International 420: International 420 North American Championship | January 19-21, 2019 | Coconut Grove, Fla.
• 29er: 29er Youth Worlds Qualifier #1 | February 16-18, 2019 | Miami Beach, Fla.
• Nacra 15: Nacra 15 Midwinters East | February 16-18, 2019 | New Orleans, La.
• Laser Radial: Radial Midwinters West | March 22-2 4, 2019 | Marina Del Rey, Calif.
• International 420: International 420 Midwinter Championship | February 16-18, 2019 | Miami Beach, Fla.
• 29er: 29er Midwinters West | March 22-24, 2019 | Coronado, Calif.
• Nacra 15: St. Francis Yacht Club Spring Dinghy / Nacra 15 Midwinters West | March 22-24, 2019 | San Francisco, Calif.
RS:X (Girls and Boys):
The athlete selection system for Windsurfing will be based on physical and technical proficiencies. Windsurfers are encouraged to compete in the following regattas:
• Orange Bowl International Youth Regatta | December 26-30, 2018 | Coconut Grove, Fla.
• Clearwater Midwinters East | Dates TBD | Clearwater, Fla.
Eligible athletes are required to submit a resume application to be considered for the 2019 U.S. Youth Worlds Team. Learn more about the 2019 U.S. Youth Worlds Team Selection Procedures.
For the complete 2019 U.S. Youth Worlds Team Selection Procedures, click here.
For questions regarding the 2019 U.S. Youth Worlds Team selection, please contact Meredith Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source: Jake Fish, US Sailing