2019 North American match racing plan
Published on January 15th, 2019
• Winners of the U.S. Match Racing Championship (USMRC) Qualifying Regattas will receive an invitation to compete in the 2019 U.S. Match Racing Championship (USMRC), October 3-6, at the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco, CA in J/22s. You may request an invitation to any of these USMRC Qualifying Regattas; you do not need to live in the region where the Qualifier is being held. Also, you can request an invitation to as many of the Qualifier events as you please. To apply to a USMRC Qualifier, click here. With any questions, contact Bill Simon.
2019 USMRC Qualifiers:
April 13-14, Oakcliff Sailing (Oyster Bay, NY), Match 40 (clinic April 12)
May 18-19, St. Francis YC (San Francisco, CA), J/22
May 18-19, Bayview YC (Detroit, MI), Ultimate 20
June 8-9, San Diego YC (San Diego, CA), J/22
June 8-9, Rochester YC (Rochester, NY), Sonar (clinic June 6-7)
June 15-16, Chicago YC (Chicago, IL), Sonar
August 10-11, Long Beach YC (Long Beach, CA), Catalina 37
• The 2019 U.S. Women’s Match Racing Championship (USWMRC) will be held at the Bayview Yacht Club (Detroit, MI), August 16-18 in Ultimate 20s. Invitations will be based solely on resume applications; there are no qualifier events for the 2019 USWMRC, though women who skipper in the USMRC Qualifying events will increase their chances of receiving an invitation to the USWMRC. For details, click here.
• The 2019 U.S. Youth Match Racing Championship (USYMRC) for ages 16-20 will be held at the San Diego Yacht Club (San Diego, CA), June 26-30 in J/22s. Invitations will be based solely on resume applications; there are no qualifier events for the 2019 USYMRC. The application period opens January 15, 2019 and closes April 1, 2019. For details, click here.
• Youth Match Racing opportunities in 2019 (clinics and regattas) are available for ages 14 to 22 years in North America. In particular, there are two excellent youth match racing clinics coached by Dave Perry this winter: Feb 1-3 in San Diego and March 1-3 in San Francisco. For details, click here.
• Pearson Potts, the 2018 Match Racing National Champion, has created a Crew Finder database for match racers in North America. You can enter your name and information into the database if you are looking to be asked to crew, or you can search the database if you are looking for crew. This will be particularly helpful when you are flying to an event and want to save costs by finding some local crew (who may also be familiar with the boats and venue where the event is), or are racing at Oakcliff or Long Beach in the larger boats. For details, click here.