Macgregor finds form at Women’s Match Racing Worlds
Published on August 7th, 2019
Lysekil, Sweden (August 7, 2019) – In perfect sailing conditions with winds of 10-14 knots, Lucy Macgregor (GBR) showed on the second day of the Lysekil Women’s Match and Women’s Match Racing World Championship why she is the two-time defending World Champion by winning 7 out of 7 matches today. After only one loss yesterday, Macgregor has otherwise been perfect to secure a place in the quarterfinals.
“Fantastic day for us, it’s been great conditions here, and it has been important to sail fast because it is quite tricky to maneuver in these boats,” said Macgregor. “I think there is big differences between the teams that are really fast and the ones that are just average. So, we have done that well and just gone down the course really cleanly.”
Round Robin racing will continue tomorrow, for the nine teams that still have matches to sail, to confirm those that will qualify directly to the quarterfinals. Macgregor, with 10 out of 11 wins, can sit back and relax knowing they are in top four and through to the next round.
“Now we will probably make sure to stretch and get the sore muscles working again,” reports Macgregor. “It’s been quite physical the last two days. I think a bit of a break will be good for us to be able to reenergize and get ready for the quarterfinals.”
Day Two Results:
1. Lucy Macgregor, Team Mac, GBR, 10-1, 10, 91%
2. Pauline Courtois, Match in Pink by Normandy Elite Team, FRA, 4-1, 4, 80%
3. Johanna Bergqvist, Team Bergqvist Match Racing, SWE, 4-1, 4, 80%
4. Anna Östling, WINGS, SWE, 6-2, 6, 75%
5. Marie Björling Duell, Team Emerson, SWE, 7-4, 7, 64%
6. Claire Leroy, Mermaid Sailing Team, FRA, 5-3, 4.5, 56%
7. Nicole Breault, Vela Racing, USA, 4-4, 4, 50%
8. Trine Palludan, Team Kattnakken, DEN, 3-5, 3, 38%
9. Renée Groeneveld, Dutch Match Racing Team, NED, 3-5, 3, 38%
10. Marinella Laaksonen, L2 Match Racing Team, FIN, 1-4, 1, 20%
11. Alexa Bezel, Swiss Women Match Racing Team, SUI, 1-10, 1, 9%
12. Margot Vennin, Matchmoiselles by Normandy Elite Team, FRA, 0-8, -0.25, 0%
The format began on August 6 with a round robin stage to advance the best eight teams to the quarter-finals, which are followed by semi-finals and the final. The final will be raced on Saturday, August 10.
Entry list (Skipper, ranking, nationality):
Pauline Courtois, 1, (FRA)
Anna Östling, 2, (SWE)
Johanna Bergqvist, 3, (SWE)
Trine Palludan, 4, (DEN)
Nicole Breault, 5, (USA)
Marinella Laaksonen, 6, (FIN)
Margot Vennin, 7, (FRA)
Alexa Bezel, 10, (SUI)
Claire Leroy, 13, (FRA)
Lucy Macgregor, 18, (GBR) – 2018 World Champion
Renée Groeneveld, 20, (NED)
Marie Björling, 22, (SWE)
The Women’s International Match Racing Association (WIMRA) was formed in 1996 and is an international association of women sailors whose mission is to expand and strengthen global match racing and promote opportunities for competitive women’s sailing at every level.
WIMRA created the first and only professional sailing series for women in 2013 – the Women’s International Match Racing Series (WIM Series). The WIM Series delivers a global circuit of competition to test the world’s best sailors in a format of round robin and knock-out matches.
2019 WIM Series Schedule:
June 6-9 – Normandie Match Cup 2019 – Le Havre, France
August 6-10 – Women’s Match Racing World Championship (Lysekil Women’s Match) – Lysekil, Sweden
October 11-16 – China International Women’s Match Race – Shanghai, China
Source: WIM Series