Rained out at TP52 World Champs
Published on August 27th, 2019
Mallorca, Spain (August 27, 2019) – A series of thunderstorms put plans to rest on the third racing day here at the Rolex TP52 World Championship Puerto Portals 2019. The fleet of 11 boats was held ashore while a first squall blew through with strong winds, torrential rain and lightning. With another one forecast and tracked on the real time weather maps, racing was cancelled for the day.
The standings remain the same. With four races sailed Takashi Okura’s Sled are at the top of the leaderboard, one point up on 2017 world champions Platoon. Principal Race Officer Maria Torrijo says she will aim to run three heats on Wednesday if the weather permits.
“We knew that today would be a difficult day to find a period of stable wind conditions. Tomorrow will be a long day because the weather will not be stable before lunch time.”
After breaking their mast on Sunday, Ergin Imre’s Provezza have stepped a spare, replacement which they brought from Valencia and they will be ready to race for Wednesday.
The fourth day of the Rolex TP52 World Championship Puerto Portals should see racing start around 13:00 CEST.
Regatta standings after Day 3, 4 races
1. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (9,1,1,2) 13 p
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (4,5,2,3) 14 p.
3. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (10,4,5,1) 20 p.
4. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (1,7,8,4) 20 p.
5. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto Roemmers) (2,9,4,5) 20 p.
6. Phoenix 12 (RSA) (Tina Plattner) (3,3,7,7) 20 p.
7. Bronenosec (RUS) (Vladimir Liubomirov) (5,8,3,6) 22 p.
8. Phoenix 11 (RSA) (Hasso Plattner) (8,2,9,9) 28 p.
9. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (6,10,6,8) 30 p.
10. Team Vision Future (FRA) (Jean Jacques Chaubbard) (7,6,10,10) 33 p.
11. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (12 DNF,12 DNC,12 DNC,12 DNC) 48 p.
Racing at the Rolex TP52 World Championship Puerto Portals 2019 started on Sunday 25th August and finishes on Thursday 29th August.
Menorca 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, May 21st – 25th, Menorca, Spain
Puerto Sherry 52 SUPER SERIES Royal Cup, June 18th – 22nd, Cadiz, Spain
Cascais 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, July 16th – 20th, Cascais, Portugal
Rolex TP52 World Championship Puerto Portals 2019, August 25th – 29th, Mallorca, Spain
Audi 52 SUPER SERIES Porto Cervo Sailing Week, September 24th – 28th, Sardinia, Italy
Cape Town 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, Cape Town, South Africa, March 2-6
Rolex TP52 World Championship Cape Town 2020, Cape Town, South Africa, March 31 – April 4
Royal Cup 52 SUPER SERIES Scarlino 2020, Scarlino, Italy, May 12-16
Audi 52 SUPER SERIES Porto Cervo & TP52 20th Anniversary Invitational, Porto Cervo, Italy, June 17-21
52 SUPER SERIES Valencia Sailing Week, Valencia, Spain, July 18-22
Puerto Portals 52 SUPER SERIES Sailing Week, Puerto Portals, Spain, September 15-19
Source: 52 Super Series Press