Corinthian Keane opens J/70 circuit
Published on December 8th, 2019
Forty-six J/70 teams traveled to Davis Island Yacht Club for the first weekend of the 2019-20 J/70 Winter Series on December 7-8 in Tampa, Florida. No races were completed on Saturday with three races on Sunday in winds of 8-10 knots on Tampa Bay.
Brian Keane’s Savasana (above) notched all seconds for 6 points to top both the Open and the 19-boat Corinthian division. Will Welles’ Bribona holds second place with 14 points, and John and Marissa Koten’s Planet Claire is in third with 19 points. Race winners were Bruno Pasquinelli’s Stampede, Mark Foster’s Honeybadger, and Darby Smith-Long’s Africa.
The Series continues January 10-12 and February 7-9.
UPDATE: It was later determined that Keane’s crew did not fulfill the requirements of the Corinthian division.
Final Results (Top 10 of 46; 3 races)
1. Savasana, Brian Keane, USA- 2-2-2; 6
2. Bribona, Will Welles/ Steve Liebel/ Colleen Walsh/ Judah Rubin, USA- 5-6-3; 14
3. Planet Claire, John and Marisa Koten/ Zeke Horowitz/ Mike Coe/ Marisa Koten, USA- 4-7-8; 19
4. Stampede, Bruno Pasquinelli/ Bruno Pasquinelli/ Victor De Leon/ Chris Stocke/ John Wallace, USA- 1-8-12; 21
5. Victory, Buddy Cribb/ Buddy Cribb/ Barr Batzer/ Scott Ewing/ Griener Hobbs, USA- 6-4-15; 25
6. Africa, Darby Smith-Long/ Jud Smith/ Trent Long/ Carlos Robles, USA- 9-20-1; 30
7. Black River Racing, Douglas Strebel, USA- 10-14-9; 33
8. Reset, Peter Barrett/ Mike Marshall/ Chris Barrett/ Andy Bixby, USA- 15-10-10; 35
9. Honeybadger, Mark Foster/ Travis Odenbach/ Ian Coleman/ Mark Liebel, USA- 8-1-37; 46
10. Phoenix, Peter Firey, USA- 27-19-7; 53
2019-20 DIYC J/70 Winter Series