Is your Sailing Hero in the Hall of Fame?
Published on February 4th, 2020
Through annual Induction, the National Sailing Hall of Fame recognizes the achievements of outstanding individuals who have shaped the sport of sailing in the United States of America.
Every spring the Selection Committee, comprised of individuals from across sailing, convenes to determine which of your sailing heroes will be the next Inductees to the National Sailing Hall of Fame. While they select the inductees, nominations are made by the sailing community.y
Online nominations are accepted throughout the year, but only nominations received by midnight (Pacific Time) on March 31, 2020 will be considered for the Induction Class of 2020. Any nominations received after that will automatically be considered for the Class of 2021.
Qualifications for nomination:
Someone who has made a significant impact on American sailing at a national level should be nominated. It can be someone from American sailing history past or present. Nominations can be for a racer, a cruiser, a pioneer, an inventor, a naval architect, or an author, instructor, musician.
Candidates must be at least 55 years old (or in the case of passing before 55, 5 years posthumously).
• Modern (living or deceased) and Historic (deceased for 60 years or more at time of selection) will be considered.
• The majority of nominees are US Citizens; though foreign nationals may be nominated if their work has contributed significantly to the development of the sport in the USA.
A concise case for the nominee is needed for the selection committee which outlines your nominees’ merit for induction to the Hall of Fame:
• List their accomplishments in and contributions to the world of sailing at a national level— races won, inventions, publications, awards, other recognitions, etc.
• Also list their notable accomplishments and contributions outside of sailing that you feel are important.
• Submitters are encouraged to provide links to or copies of any articles, web pages, photos, videos, or other publications that will help the committee get to know your candidate.
All nominations presented to the Selection Committee will be condensed, so, please be detailed, but brief.
• SAILING Category recognizes achievements made on the water as a Sailboat Racer, Cruiser or Offshore Sailor.
• TECHNICAL Category recognizes those who have significantly contributed to the technical aspects of sailing. Examples include Designers, Boat Builders, Sail-makers, etc.
• CONTRIBUTOR Category recognizes those who have made other significant contributions to the American sailing experience. Examples include Teachers, Coaches, Administrators, Media (including authored works, TV, film, etc.), Artists, Musicians, Promoters and Organizers.
HOW TO NOMINATE:
Everything you need to know about the nominating process is available by visiting the online nomination page.
HOW NOT TO NOMINATE:
Submitting duplicate nominations or engaging others in a “campaign” for your person only adds to the burden placed on our volunteers. Please be considerate of their time.
Please remember, it’s a nomination, not a popularity contest. One nomination by any one person through the online form is all it takes for a candidate to be considered by the Selection Committee. IMPORTANT: Review the lists of Inductees and current nominees before submitting a nomination.