Safety a Topic at World Sailing Conference
Published on September 20th, 2018
World Sailing’s 2018 Annual Conference will include two open forums on Safety in Sailing and the future of Offshore and Keelboat racing with sport and industry leaders sharing their perspectives.
The Annual Conference, where the key decisions for the future of our sport are made, will be held from October 26 – November 4 in Sarasota, Florida.
The Safety in Sailing Forum will be held from 14:30 to 18:00 on Monday, October 29 and the Future of Offshore & Keelboat Racing Forum will follow on October 30 from 09:00 to 12:00 local time.
The forums are open to all attendees as part of the conference agenda that includes World Sailing Committee and Council meetings, the eSailing World Championship Final, and the annual World Sailing Awards. They will also be live streamed on YouTube.
Broadcaster Alec Wilkinson will host both forums before chairing an interactive panel session with audience members and those watching online.
The Safety in Sailing Forum will be split into two parts and topics.
To open the Safety in Sailing Forum a session on how to deal with the new risks associated with foiling in competitive sailing will be held with the following presenters:
* Safety in boat design – Gonzalo Redondo, Managing Director at D3 Applied Technologies
* Protective clothing and headwear – Bart Mikzarcyk, Global Head of Design at Zhik
* Race management – John Craig, International Race Officer and Extreme Sailing Series Race Director
* Emergency procedures – TBD
The forum will then move into the importance of being ready when sailing offshore with keynote speeches from:
* Maintenance and checks – Hasso Hoffmeister, Senior Principal Engineer at DNV GL – Maritime
* Personal safety training – Chuck Hawley, former Chairman of the US Sailing Safety at Sea Committee and Vice President of Product Information at West Marine
* Offshore safety equipment – Alistair Hackett, Managing Director at Ocean Safety
* Offshore race management – Phil Lawrence, Race Director at Volvo Ocean Race
Keelboat and offshore are some of the most popular avenues of the sport. With historical events continuing traditions and new ones being introduced or evolved, there is an ever changing landscape.
A leading cast of influencers within the community will feature in the Future of Offshore & Keelboat Racing Forum:
* Solo and short-handed offshore sailing – Mike Golding, Professional sailor
* Future of the Volvo Ocean Race – Richard Brisius, President of the Volvo Ocean Race
* World Sailing Offshore World Championship – TBD
* Sustainability in Offshore racing – Dee Caffari, Professional sailor and Chair of the World Sailing Trust
* ORC /IRC Combined World Championships – Andrew McIrvine, RORC Admiral and Bruno Finzi, ORC Chairman
* Future of Universal Measurement System – Stan Honey, Professional sailor and Chairman of World Sailing’s Oceanic and Offshore Committee
* Growth of Sailing leagues – Olli Schwall, Managing Director at Sailing Champions League
Andy Hunt, World Sailing CEO commented, “Safety and the future of offshore and keelboat racing are topics that are high on the agenda of sailors, coaches, event organizers and our members. We are delighted to have brought together many of the leading experts together to debate these important issues.”
Event Details: http://www.sailing.org/meetings/2018-conference.php
Source: World Sailing