Redwood City hosts US Junior Champs
Published on August 7th, 2019
Nearly 100 young sailors are anticipated for the 2019 Chubb U.S. Junior Sailing Championships to be held August 9-11 in Redwood City, CA. US Sailing’s oldest championship will feature three days of racing for the historic Sears Cup, Bemis Trophy, and Smythe Trophy.
First sailed in 1921, sailors compete regionally to earn an opportunity to race at this championship in one of three fleets. Competing sailors range in age between 13 and 18. Each Area is eligible to send at least one sailor/team to compete in each of the fleets for the 2019 event:
• U.S. Junior Singlehanded Championship for the Smythe Trophy to be sailed in the Laser Radial.
• U.S. Junior Doublehanded Championship for the Bemis Trophy to be sailed in the Club 420.
• U.S. Junior Triplehanded Championship for the Sears Cup to be sailed in the Open 5.7.
While the Laser Radial and Club 420 are familiar to most youth sailors, the Open 5.70 will challenge the teams to adapt to a very modern design.
“The Chubb U.S. Junior Championships has a rich history, with many of sailing’s greats having competed over the years for the Sears, Bemis, and Smythe trophies,” said John Pearce, Youth Director at US Sailing. “This regatta draws top talent from the regional level and gives them the opportunity to be a part of a great tradition, while also learning from top coaches and looking ahead to the highest levels of the sport.”
The top three eligible athletes in the singlehanded fleet will receive early acceptance to the 2020 U.S. Youth Championships.
Sailors are taking part in onshore and on-water clinics with a collection of top coaches from around the country on August 8 to hone their skills and acclimate themselves to the racing conditions and the boats. The following coaches are on site working with the sailors throughout the championship:
• Richard Feeny: US Sailing Youth National Coach – Bemis fleet coach
• Kevin Burnham: 2 time Olympic medalist – Bemis fleet coach
• Adam Corpuz-Lahne: Head coach at St. Francis Yacht Club – Smythe fleet coach
• Hannah Tuson-Turner: Former Sailing Program Director at Orcas Island Yacht Club – Smythe fleet coach
• Mike Scott: Director of Youth Sailing and Head Coach at Encinal Yacht Club – Sears fleet coach