Change for US Junior Women’s Champs
Published on July 21st, 2019
The 2019 U.S. Junior Women’s Doublehanded Championship for the Ida Lewis Trophy has attracted 78 sailors for racing on July 22 to 24. For the first time in event history, the Championship will feature two events – the Club 420 and 29er.
In the past, this Championship has featured one event in the Club 420 to compete for the Ida Lewis Trophy. This year, the high-performance 29er has been injected into the Championship to provide additional opportunities for doublehanded teams to race and compete against top peers from around the country, while learning from a collection of the top coaches in the country.
The racing area will be approximately 1 nm southeast of Zuniga Jetty in the area known as the Coronado Roads.
Prior to competition was the opportunity to learn from a panel of seven US Sailing fleet coaches on July 20-21. The event is hosted by the San Diego Yacht Club with the Club 420 and 29er boats being provided by Zim Sailing.
• Giselle Camet Nyenhuis: 1992 Olympian, 1990 Youth World Champion
• Richard Feeny: US Sailing Youth National Coach
• Charles Higgins: Head Coach, Tulane University
• Elizabeth Kratzig: 8-time US Sailing Team Member, World Match Racing Medalist
• Alana O’Reilly Marks: 3-Time All-American (2004, 2005, 2006), Quantum Collegiate Sailor of the Year (2006) for the College of Charleston
• Molly Pleskus: Head Coach, San Diego Yacht Club
• Beka Schiff: Former College of Charleston Sailor, Club 420, Laser, Opti, Keelboat Coach in Southern California.